It’s the ubiquitous leaf blowers. They’re back for another round!

by Suza Francina on October 4, 2007

It’s Thursday morning, my free morning where I can stay home and write, do yoga, dishes, laundry, water the yard and sit outside to read and enjoy the peace and quiet. It’s mid morning, nice and warm outside, so I pick a nice spot under a tree, move my lawn chair, spread out the LA Times and go inside to get a bowl of left-over soup from Farmer and the Cook. I have my worries but I brush them aside and think to myself “How lucky I am to live in a war-free zone, with electricity, running water, a flush toilet, and something good to eat.” Birds are singing, squirrels are chattering, a perfect day in paradise. Almost.
I go back outside with my bowl of soup. I sit down. Oh no! Not again! What’s that noise? My peace and quiet is shattered. It’s the ubiquitous leaf blowers. They’re back for another round. I live in a beautiful neighborhood but one never knows when the leaf blowers will start up as most of my neighbors use gardening services. Plus the nearby Presbyterian church parking lot seems to get a good vacuuming about twice a week. Sometimes I hear them on Saturday nights, as I watch the pink moment or the full moon rise. They start up when my students are in Savasana (relaxation pose). No moment is sacred to the leaf blowers.

I’ve almost given up. It’s been many years since my last tirade on this bizarre modern-day invention. Instead of marching up to the gardeners, as I once used to do, now I vent to the cosmos.
It’s two days later… I was about to sit in my yard and eat lunch. The neighbor’s gardening service drove up. I quickly went inside. As I type this the gardener across the street has been sending gusts of dirt and fumes into my front yard and the rest of the neighborhood for about twenty-minutes. I thought we banned this blight on the planet from our residential neighborhoods when I was on the city council years ago!
It does little good to complain to the City or police because it’s only a matter of time before the racket starts up again. Like most people I hesitate to march up to my neighbor’s front door and demand they hand their gardeners a good old-fashioned rake and broom. My own gardener keeps my sidewalks swept and leaves raked into areas where they can nourish the soil and plants very nicely with these time-honored tools.
I think my neighborhood must be some sort of leaf-blower vortex. Surely if it’s like this everywhere the people would insist that the City do something! My neighbor across the street, with his great big yard, has the gardening service come almost every day, and they consider it their sacred obligation to use the leaf-blower every time they come. Sometimes I suspect they are just going through the motions, walking back and forth blasting a few innocuous leaves.
The roar of the leaf blower has gotten louder since I started this essay and as I look out my window it appears another man has joined the chorus and I see more whirls of dirt and leaves swirling around. It’s not the fault of the gardeners–I feel sorry for the gardeners who are exposed to the noise and pollution of these misguided tools. I want to shout, “For heaven’s sake! It’s the great outdoors! It’s not the living room floor! It’s supposed to be dirty. The leaves are nutrients for the trees! Stop those leaf blowers! Stop putting those precious leaves in the trash! Just STOP!”
Update, May 2, 2008 Posted by makeojaiquieter.com
Happy May! My dear neigbors on all four sides (eight properties all together) are celebrating the first two days in May by having an ongoing all-day leaf blower party. It started yesterday morning and they seem to have it timed so that any blessed moment of silence lasts no more than a few minutes. From a distance I can see clouds of dust and a few innocent leaves whirling through the air. The dust is blowing over the fence into my yard and the hispanic worker, wearing a kerchief over his mouth and nostrills, is obviously just going through the motions. He is stirring up far more dirt than leaves and looks like he’s dancing with the long hose of the leaf blower as he run to and fro chasing leaves that I’m sure would much prefer to quietly return to Mother Earth…

{ 42 comments }

evan austin October 4, 2007 at 1:11 pm

good on ya, Suza…my apartment complex’s gardeners use wretchedly noisy and polluting gas leafblowers and lawnmowers too. the practical use of a leafblower is mysterious to me at BEST: stir up dirt and grime into the air, push leaves from one place to another, the dirt settles wherever it will (often right back to wherever it was stirred up from), and for what?
i say recycle the blowers, replace the mowers. did you know that a gas lawn mower (and iím sure a gas blower too) puts out the same air pollution as 40 cars in one hour? And thatís in the face of a Ventura County program where you turn in your gas mower and get a hefty credit towards an electric one!
there’s very little excuse to continue to pollute our air (in two ways) when the solutions are present and accessible.

david October 4, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Suza,
I totally sympathize with your exasperation with the infernal leaf-blower… and evan’s comments about their contribution to air pollution are also very apt….
For sheer noise pollution value, however, the skateboarders in my neighborhood will give leaf-blowers a run for their money any day….
As a former member of the City Council, can’t you enlighten us a little bit about what regulations exist in this town to govern noise pollution?

Anonymous October 4, 2007 at 1:58 pm

I can and I will…give me a few days…

Anonymous October 4, 2007 at 2:00 pm

I’m not exactly sure on this but years ago a friend of mine (Steven Halpern, the new age healing and meditation music master) was able to get the town he lives in Marin County (San Anselmo, I think) to outlaw leaf blowers.

Suza October 4, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Sorry, forgot to sign in, that “Anonymous” was me.

Suza October 4, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Thank you to the other “Anonymous” who posted the comment about Marin County oulawing leaf blowers. I can just imagin Steve Halpern trying to compose his music with leafblowers in the background! To the best of my recollection, the Ojai City Council did ban leaf-blowers in residential neighborhoods but after I left the Council this may have been weakened because condominium and apartment owners complained.

Suza October 4, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Here is the link to the City of Ojai Noise Ordinance. I will copy what it says about leaf blowers in a minute.

Suza October 4, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Here’s how leaf blowers are covered in the Noise Ordinance:
Leaf blowers may be operated from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. everyday, except legal holidays. While electric blowers are allowed in all zones, gas-powered blowers will only be allowed in non-residential zones after December 31, 1998. Other special provisions governing gas blowers include: (1) they may not be operated within 150 feet of residences, motels, schools and hospitals; and (2) they must be operated with their factory mufflers in good working order.

Kate October 4, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Ah yes, the blowers. One of my least favorite moments is when I’m happily walking my dog on a beautiful day and suddenly I come upon a blower and I’m surrounded by dust and debris as it fills my eyes and lungs. I look at whomever has unknowingly pointed this i my direction and often he/she from a lawn service often has on a mask or bandana so they don’t have to breathe it!
I also truly don’t like the disruption some things can cause in one’s home. Gardners with lawnmowers and blowers are truly irritating though I’ve found I can often figure out their schedule so as to *not open my windows or start a writing project that morning.
My two latest gripes about neighbors disturbing my day are: *when they smoke cigarettes and it comes streaming into my house or when a barbecue chimney or fire pit is lit and that smoke overwhelmes my house or *when neighbors have huge screaming arguments that you can hear inside your home. It’s just awful and nothing quite wrecks me like when I am writing or deep and happily in a project and this noxious anger starts. Quite frankly it’s also scary as though someone is being killed or injured but of course they never are — in spite of the rocks they sometimes throw at eachother while yelling obsenities.
There should be a few laws that would make the world MUCH more peaceful!
Here’s to having the grace and quiet to go deep and create!!

david October 4, 2007 at 2:54 pm

” While electric blowers are allowed in all zones, gas-powered blowers will only be allowed in non-residential zones after December 31, 1998.”
Are electric leaf-blowers any quieter than gas-powered ones? How does one tell the difference?
Don’t we see gas-powered in residential zones all the time???

Suza October 4, 2007 at 3:11 pm

“Don’t we see gas-powered in residential zones all the time??? ”
YUP!
The driving force is the demand of home-owners to have these unrealistic spic ‘n’span properties and they don’t want to pay for the extra time it takes to sweep and rake by hand. The men who work for the gardening services are often living on the edge and my guess is that it’s a financial hardship to replace the old gas ones with electric models.

phalarope October 4, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Can I continue on the “annoying things” mode even though it’s not about blowers? In addition to what Kate mentioned, I have a hard time with people who head out into their backyards on weekday nights and proceed to party at 2:00 a.m. as if it were 2:00 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon.
I think I need to live on a small island somewhere; a small quiet island.

Suza October 4, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Kate, I sympathize with your experience! If I’m on my bike and see a leaf- blower I go to the opposite side of the street (if possible), take a deep breath and pedal through the dust cloud fast as I can.
A few times I’ve attempted to communicate with the person operating the gas powered leaf blower. (You have to stand there and wait till they turn it off and remove their ear covers.) I regret I don’t speak Spanish well enough to explain they are illegal. Besides, you have to track down the owner of the gardening service and the whole thing gets a bit sticky. And I certainly would not want someone to go to jail over this! So what to do?

evan austin October 4, 2007 at 3:50 pm

David,
YES, electric blowers are quieter that gas ones! (though, in my experience, they are also less powerful) electric blowers are most notably missing the yellowed-plastic gas tank, the blue-grey exhaust, and the oily grime. my father-in-law’s got one that’s sleek and blue, with a pop-in battery much like most cordless drills.
for me, improving the leafblower is like making a smarter bomb: doesn’t change the pointless end result. frankly i’m for eliminating leafblowers entirely.

dianne October 4, 2007 at 3:56 pm

another annoying, noise polluting, inconsiderate intrusion: dogs left in yards to bark and bark while their owners are either at work or CLUELESSLY watching T.V.
This is cruel to the dogs AND the humans that have to endure the sad sounds.
I agree with all that has been said about the leaf blowers. truly one of the stupidest inventions of the 20th century.

Bronson October 4, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Our friend Ed may have the answer: We should just arm the populace of Ojai. When those pesky leaf blowers come on, when the dogs bark, when the neighbors fight, when that party is too loud, when we smell second hand smoke… we can just come out blazing. Those skateboarders would calm right down if they knew they made perfect moving targets. Even those volatile neighbors would think twice about getting into it if they were both packing. Peace doesn’t come without a price. Arm Ojai.

Anonymous October 4, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Bunch of whiney complainers, that’s what Ojai’s residents mostly are. Other then the fact they all drive 35 in 45 zones from Vons to the freeway, and Soule Park to Bocalli’s. A leaf blower is the least of our problems. I’ve never seen so many people bitch about everyday life. I’d rather see a clean street, or lot, versus a messy one with leafs and waste lying everywhere. I can deal with the noise for 20 mins out of my day, sorry. 1440 minutes in the day, and 20 just ruin your life and cause you to start a blog about it. People do stupid stuff, people are annoying as hell, too. No one is perfect, and everyone has something to complain about. Let’s keep to the more important issues in our lifes and community such as day laborers, ANOTHER stop light at Villanova Rd., gang crimes and drugs. Oh wait, none of that is in the news right now, so let’s find something to get annoyed about. People who start threads like these need less free time in their day, and need to keep their annoyed rants to themselves. God, I was on the way home from work today, and I saw someone speeding on Creek Rd. going at least 60 mph, I’m so annoyed lets chat about it.

Anonymous October 4, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Despite differing opinions, we would all like to see Ojai’s character and quality of life preserved and improved for generations to come. We’re in this together.
I don’t think Ojai will keep it’s current charisma after the current baby boomers, and there parents move on.
It’s going to be like every other town. Generations change, like music, trends, and opinions.
Each generation tends to change a little, and that’s what all of you people are seeing.
Younger, different people are moving into Ojai, and they will most likely change it throughout the years. So enjoy while you can old timers!

Old Ojai Coot October 4, 2007 at 9:09 pm

This thread was getting a little inbred and ho-hum but I got the laugh I needed from Anonymous 4:31 who starts off “Bunch of whiney complainers,” then proceeds to whine and complain in a sarcastic tone about people who complain about subjects that aren’t important to him/her. If you live long enough, life will never cease to amaze you. Oh, I know I’m doing the same thing so don’t trouble yourself pointing it out, okay?

Suza October 5, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Memo to Anonymous | October 4, 2007 04:31 PM:
In my neighborhood there are leaf blowers almost every day. As I type this the leaf blower across the street that was here around the same time yesterday is back again. Yesterday the leaf blowing went on for about THREE HOURS, one neighbor after the other. If this happens to occur on your day off, you can forget about enjoying a quiet day at home! If this was a useful activity that had some point to it I would not mind planning my Life around this noise, but the point is, that this is one activity that can easilly be handled with a quiet, non-poluting, energy-efficient rake and broom.

Todd Hamo October 5, 2007 at 12:53 pm

I feel your pain. Use of gasoline-powered leaf-blowing machines should be curbed. Unfortunately, cities are not enforcing use of these machines. The City Of Los Angeles officially bans use of gasoline-powered leaf-blowing machines, but I do wonder if the code is ever enforced. To help in understanding the issue of the gas–powered machines, attorney Laura Pierson has written an excellent roleplay document on the subject. Fortunately, we are beginning to see some evidence of innovation and foresight on the manufacturing side. Whispercut, a manufacturer based in Florida, offers machines with markedly reduced noise emissions and blowing power, cutting down on noise pollution and air pollution. There’s more to be said on the subject. At any rate, you might want to have a look at the links on “leaf-blowers” at Noise Free America. If you would like further resources, feel free to leave a message at the Noise Free America website. Take care.
Quiet Regards,
Todd Hamo
Orange County, California

Todd Hamo October 5, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Forgot to leave my email address:
toddhamo AT integrity DOT com

evan austin October 5, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Anonymous October 4, 4:31pm:
the Ojai Post has had discussions about gang violence, the Villanova stop light, and immigrant labor in the past. the ear and lung pollution of leafblowers seems a perfectly legitimate concern to me (and many others, if you’ve been actually reading the Post), and is not engaged INSTEAD OF these other pressing issues, but IN ADDITION TO.
please drive carefully.

bored October 5, 2007 at 6:55 pm

evan’,
where the HECK is dennis leary? this topic was MADE to order (rich peoples, tower o’ babel, patriarchical jesus-juice drinkers,love gov. et al). remove digit from your rear and find hin!!!

El Anonimo October 5, 2007 at 9:19 pm

Dennis Leary recently appeared on the hit TV show “Deal or No Deal”. He won $500,000 and left the show with 3 of the lovely “Deal” models (Numbers 2, 11, 18) on his arm.
He no longer has an interest in politics and has nothing bad to say about money.
Dennis will make 1 more appearance at a City Council meeting pleading for chain stores to be allowed since one of his new girlfriends absolutely loves Subway Chipotle Chicken & Bacon Double Cheese Melt.
Amazingly Dennis has cured his pathological need for attention and has found deep peace and absolutely nothing irritates him anymore.

bird brain October 5, 2007 at 11:17 pm

…………… and he used his money for a down payment on a big property in the middle of town with lots of trees shedding lots of leaves, requiring daily clean-up with a dozen gas-powered leaf-blowers……..

Millennium October 6, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Dennis is in the midwest visiting his son for another month — thus we shall have to attempt to fill in for him in this our desperate, leafblown, hour!
as to the question of enforcement, and the deeper question of ethics — looking to the good and nurturing in our community — I would ask how CAN the citizenry, everyone individually and in focus groups FOR THE GOOD, how can issue citations to the leafblowers — heavy enough to end the abusive practice?
ditto, the tourists and drunks and contractors who speed on our residential roads, who run the redlight in front of the post office, every driver who at deadly speed runs our bicylists off the roads and endangers the children and pedestrians?
are we permitted to jot down license plate numbers, and telephone the Sheriff, and have tickets issued and arrests made?
on Highway 150, from Lake Casitas to the Riverbottom, a nine-month road project was begun a month ago. what intermittent and sand-and-dirt-piled shoulder was available is no longer — as crash barriers and dividers and cones have been set up to squeeze the cars and cyclists into the broken-up road together, around the clock, though the roadcrews are only there M-F, 8-4. yet no signs requiring the drivers to slow down, or pass SLOWLY around the bicyles?
what kind of mad road project is this?

evan austin October 6, 2007 at 12:06 pm

whoa, whoa, WHOA. from whence comes the Dennis hate-speech? and since when is it my responsibility to “remove digit from [my] rear and find hin!!!” [sic] ?
You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy.
Please treat fellow commenters with civility and respect, as if you were engaging in person.

driver x October 6, 2007 at 1:39 pm

MT: I was driving down Rice Rd, below the speed limit. 50 yards in front of me I observed a man on a bike heading towards me riding close to the shoulder on his right. Without warning, he suddenly swerved over the double yellow and forced me to cross the double yellow to avoid hitting him. I glanced over to see that it was you Millenium, glaring at me and filled with self deluded angry indignation.
When you make comments like the one above, you remind me of a deranged dog barking at passing cars. Some dogs chase cars and try and bite the tires. Hopefully, you know better.
Instead of Millenium Twain as a pseudonym, perhaps Don Quixote?

trollminder October 6, 2007 at 1:56 pm

Sounds as there’s a lumpy right-wing maggot in the apple. I wonder if it has a little diamond ear-stud?

Suza October 7, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Aaah… blessed quiet on a beautiful Sunday!
I want to thank Todd Hamo for his comments on October 5th, and for pointing me to “leaf-blowers” at Noise Free America.
Here’s the link to Noise Free America web site:
And here’s a great article
I found there:
Shh! Can You Turn Down That Leaf Blower?
By Ted Rueter
Modern life is noisy. Freeway traffic, 6 a.m. garbage pickups, middle-of-the-night street sweepers, lawnmowers, 747 takeoffs, car alarms, and ghetto blasters pierce the ears and disrupt life.
Noise pollution leads the complaints to the quality-of-life hotline in New York City. According to the Noise Pollution Clearinghouse, “Good neighbors keep their noise to themselves.” The Clearinghouse also calls noise polluters “bullies, claiming rights and freedoms that are not theirs while degrading resources that are ours.”
And what is the most egregious, the most loathsome, the most needless form of pollution from the noise bullies?
Leaf blowers. Blowers blare and screech, kick up dirt and dust, and accomplish nothing.
You know there’s something wrong when a piece of equipment requires its users to wear ear protectors, goggles, and a mask. Former Los Angeles city councilman Marvin Braude contends that gas blowers emit 1,800 tons of carcinogenic, volatile organic compounds into L.A. each year.
Leaf blowers are the perfect example of technology run amok.
While rakes create no noise, leaf blowers irritate neighbors, generate CO2 emissions, and threaten public health. And what do they accomplish? Nothing. Instead of collecting dirt and leaves, they simply blow them around. Leaf blowers are “inappropriate technology,” as defined by E.F. Schumacher in his book, “Small Is Beautiful.”
Leaf blowers also illustrate the irrationality of “efficiency.”
Professional gardeners argue that they’d have to charge more if they couldn’t use blowers, because their work would take longer. This logic suggests that price is the only consideration. What good is efficiency if it disturbs the quality of life? As a society, we pay more for cars to make them safer and to reduce emissions. Many people are willing to pay more for healthier foods. Some are willing to spend to support local merchants instead of global corporations.
Most people would prefer to enoy a New England autumn without the stress of leaf blowers, but gardening interests are better organized. The leaf blower industry employs a full-time lobbyist who travels the country attempting to quiet antiblower legislative activity.
Yet despite the prevalence of leaf blowers, there is reason for hope. In California, 44 cities have enacted restrictions on blowers, including Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, South Pasadena, Los Verdas Estates, and Claremont. Blowers have been banned in Berkeley since December 1990.
In Los Angeles, gas-powered blowers will be banned within 500 feet of residential properties, effective Jan. 1. Leadership was provided by actors Peter Graves and Meredith Baxter. “Leaf blowers are bad,” said Mr. Graves. “They call them leaf blowers because, indeed, they do blow leaves around and around and around. But they also blow other things around,” he says, mentioning fungus as an example. “Are we going to put gas masks on our kids?” Ms. Baxter says “it flies in the face of all rational thinking to continue using leaf blowers.”
The California Air Resources Board has primary jurisdiction over lawn and garden utilities for the state. Its staff is currently developing regulations to cut emissions by leaf blowers, power mowers, weed eaters, trimmers, and hedgers by 45 percent. Public hearings will be held in 1998, and the regulations would go into effect in 1999.
Other cities around the country are beginning to restrict leaf blowers, too. In Scarsdale, N.Y., landscapers are not allowed to use any power leaf blower that is louder than 75 decibels. Two cities on Long Island, Oyster Bay and North Hempstead, place restrictions on the hours and noise levels of blowers.
The preamble to an ordinance in Winnetka, Ill., states, “The unlimited use of gasoline-powered leaf blowers impairs the public welfare, peace, and quality of life within the Village and the use of gasoline-powered leaf blowers at certain times of the day constitutes a public nuisance.”
There is also some action at the federal level. Rep. Nita Lowey (D) of New York is sponsoring the Quiet Communities Act of 1997, which authorizes $5 million to reestablish the Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Noise Abatement and Control, which was eliminated in the 1980s.
Leaf blowers are the remnant of an overly technological, effluent society. It’s time for people to put away their noise machines, get out their rakes and brooms, and stop disturbing their neighbors. It’s time for leaf blowers to be silenced
(Credit: Christian Science Monitor, October 3, 1997)

evan austin October 7, 2007 at 5:04 pm

thank you for posting that article, Suza…i too was enlightened by Todd’s direction to Noise Free America, and that was the first article i clicked on, and LOVED it! it makes every point i believe in.

DR.Susio October 8, 2007 at 5:06 pm

How many comments were off topic before you had to say something i.e. “kate’s”endless moaning about everything besides leaf blowers.When aimed at one of your little amigos you quickly point out the posts “don’t make me cry” agreement at end of post comment page.Anon is right you people complain too much,does the glow of your laptop make you cranky as you blog all the livelong day?Is your vitamin deficient diet making you jealous of my bbq?Or are you just a bunch of crybabies because thats what tou are?If leafbblowers bother you so much why don”t you say something to your neighbors instead of whining on a blog page I’m sure nobody will give you a shake or punch even though you might benefit from one.Leafblowers suck so do “zen carpenters”with bad building plans who constantly run power tools and so do my neighbors who beat their hippie drums at two am.But usually confronted face to face these people come to a rational conclusion to either explain their actions or cease their mindless activity if it is intruding on someones peace.As for MT you should learn the rules of the road I’ve had to swerve to avoid your spaced out bootie a couple of times myself. DR.SUSIO

trollminder October 8, 2007 at 7:01 pm

evan — wait a damn second you and jackson browne hang??? can dij shake his $$$–maker on jb’s next vid???

Kate October 8, 2007 at 8:43 pm

No, I did address the topic and expanded upon it. I am sorry for the you susio and the evil you spew. And, btw, saying “I’m sure nobody will give you a shake or punch even though you might benefit from one” is a sideways threat.
The one salient point you made was the concept of people going and speaking to their nieghbors but whoops, it’s negated due to your tone.
I hear that parasites from poorly cooked barbecued meat can cause unbridled anger and hostility. Perhaps a cleanse… But wait, I’m off topic.

DR.Susio October 9, 2007 at 1:16 pm

You know you love the Susio don’t try to lie to yourself love!

Anonymous October 9, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Leaf blowers are a minor irritation at best compared to fresh horse poop on the trail. Why don’t equestrians pick up their horsepoop like decent dog owners do?
As for leaf-blowers, if they are illegal, call 911. It’ll give our officers something to do.
Same for MT and the swervers. I propose MT get a cellphone just to call 911 next time a car swerves to miss him in the road. The driver can call 911 too. Then they can get into a he said-she said, and the cop can ticket them both. They could then hire some lawyers and duke it out in court. Keep the economy moving and give them both something to do.

Donna Lloyd October 11, 2007 at 6:50 am

it is 6:45 Thursday morning here in MO and they have already started. Luckily I’ve been up since 6am – but every Thursday morning this happens and I feel sorry for people that might be home sick or have the day off. It is annoying.

Ed Nemechek October 11, 2007 at 9:09 am

I think that a basic problem in America is the great number of people who make issues out of traditional activity such as leaf blowers, lawn mowers, cars, trucks, smoking, guns for protection, and seemingly everything under the sun in our modern world and then create laws that virtually make everything illegal thereby causing distracting continual civil termoil while the steamroller of big government rolls on restricting our lives, reducing production, lowering our standard of living, sending our children home in flag draped coffins, and endangering our lives, health and safety, and property in general. The job of government is to PROTECT life, liberty, and property instead of restricting and attacking it as is happening under the guise of phony environmentalism, global warming, alternative energy, etc., and now the boogy man of fighting “terrorism” created by our own government policies and agencies. We have to get our heads out of these foggy non-issues and address the national issues critical to our national survival like getting out of the U.N., securing our borders, stopping the phony “free trade” agreements which are really regional government treaties that erase our borders and negate our constitution, stopping the Law Of The Sea Treaty(L.O.S.T.), and preserving our gun rights for self protection. We can’t allow ourselves to be distracted from these critical issues because of leaf blowers, lawn mowers, etc.. See: JBS.org for more on these issues.-Ed Nemechek-760-246-8059.

kittykat October 11, 2007 at 10:12 am

say ed,
it would take a fine scalpel to separate out the grains of truth from the layers of confusion in your comment….
suffice it to say this: one way the government can protect MY life, liberty and property is precisely to eliminate the assault-by-noise produced by leaf-blowers….
can’t you see your libertarian argument supports this complaint rather than refutes it??

Pop Psychologist October 11, 2007 at 11:36 am

Hmm… I am glad it is leaf blowers that are disturbing the peace of our esteemed residents. We can do something about leaf blowers, right? Yell at our neighbors. Whine to the guvmint. Call the police.
But when the leaf blowers get gone, will we then be at peace? Or will we just move on to the next annoyance?
Let me suggest: Those who complain of leaf blowers are dealing with much deeper issues. Existential frustration at the emptiness of their lives. Lack of purpose. The cognitive imperative of distracting themselves from real issues to worry about, like the murder and destruction taking place in our names as we write, like the environmental degradation going on apace as we read, like the dismantling of our deomcracy and social institutions as we blog and whine about leaf blowers…
If you find yourself so annoyed at a leaf blower that you would actually take any action in response, or even expend the slightest mental effort to observe your annoyance… look instead inward, at whatever inner frustrations are manifesting in this most frivolous of complaints.
Heal thyself, and the leaf blowers will cease to be a problem.
Am I wrong? Maybe. Perhaps everything going on in this world is so rosy that if we could just quiet down those leaf blowers, all would be perfect.
Yes, perhaps I need to look inward. It is me that is the whiner. As Bush 1 used to say, don’t worry, be happy. Or as Bush 2 says, let’s go shopping!

Anonymous October 11, 2007 at 3:58 pm

much truth Pop Psycho…

Comments on this entry are closed.